PDA

View Full Version : online Mentor Marathon 4 Haiti - Wednesday Jan. 27

Huy
January 20th, 2010, 10:07 AM
UPDATE: Thank you everyone! We raised over $8,000!!!!!!!!!!!

__________________________________________________ ________

The Mentor Marathon 4 Haiti will be held on WEDNESDAY JAN 27 to raise money for charitable organizations that provide relief for Haiti earthquake victims.

For a $100 donation, photographers receive unlimited access to a day-long online mentor session by the industry's top photographers. Mentors will be conducting portfolio reviews, image critiques, answering questions, etc. Of course, the amount of 1-on-1 interaction depends on the number of photographers participating.

Mentoring schedule for Wednesday (all times Central USA)

8 am - 10 am : Sergio + Critsey Rowe (boudoir photography) (http://www.coutureboudoir.com/)
10 am - NOON : DQ Studios
NOON - 2 pm : David Murray
2 pm - 4 pm : Tyler Wirken
4 pm - 6pm : Ben Chrisman + Anna Kuperberg
6 pm - 8 pm : JVS
8 pm - 10 pm : Brooks Whittington + Cat Benner

and more to be determined

THIS EVENT IS OPEN TO ALL PHOTOGRAPHERS, NOT JUST FWF. ANYONE CAN MAKE A $100 DONATION AND OBTAIN THE PASSWORD.

Participants will be given a password for access to the session which will be held through www.dimdim.com (http://www.dimdim.com) Your password will allow you in-out access throughout the day so you can attend anytime. You will be able log in and out easily.

Make your payments directly to your charity of choice. Email me your receipt to huy@fworkshop.com with the subject line : HAITI and I will send you the password for access when it's ready. IT'S A COMMON PASSWORD. DO NOT GIVE THE PASSWORD OUT TO ANYONE ELSE.

Some suggestions :

http://doctorswithoutborders.org/
http://www.redcross.org/

Our goal is to raise $10,000. If you know of any company that's willing to match all, or a percentage, of our proceeds, please contact them directly on your own. Send them a link to this thread.

(please let me know what else I've forgotten to mention...)

Thanks!

Huy

Here's what you do:

1. read this post very carefully, twice
2. make your contribution online and email me the receipt with Subject: HAITI to huy@fworkshop.com
4. if you want to be a mentor, make a post
5. facebook, blog or Tweet a link to this thread OFTEN

Huy
January 20th, 2010, 10:11 AM
the original thread : http://www.fwforum.com/showthread.php?t=8071

Scott Williams
January 20th, 2010, 10:26 AM
The Canadian government will match 100% of donations for Haiti.

Verna Pitts
January 20th, 2010, 10:41 AM
If you are in need of an organization to donate to I can vouch for Healing Haiti (http://healinghaiti.org/)
This husband and wife team have committed their lives and resources to bring clean water, food and education to the citizens of Haiti. They have 2 water trucks in operation in Haiti. All monies (save the cc processing fees) go directly to Haiti.

Tyler Wirken
January 20th, 2010, 10:51 AM
I will be happy to volunteer if needed.

Thanks for doing this Huy. Feels good to feel like a difference can be made.

Cindy Stafford
January 20th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Incredible idea!

David Pullum
January 20th, 2010, 11:12 AM
if i can help at all please let me know

Huy
January 20th, 2010, 11:21 AM
tell all of the UK about it :)

if i can help at all please let me know

Britt Bailey
January 20th, 2010, 11:54 AM
We should put Anna Kuperberg's name here, since her offer to mentor in the other thread won't be visible to guest viewers (linking in from FB, etc.).

Joe Appel
January 20th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Two excellent places to donate money for Haiti relief:

Brother's Brother Foundation - http://www.brothersbrother.org/

Hopital Albert Schweitzer - http://www.hashaiti.org/

They are both well established, extremely efficient with their funds, and do amazing work.

Joe

Scott Williams
January 20th, 2010, 12:29 PM
I know Matt Mendelsohn has been raising money for the Hopital Albert Schweitzer, maybe we could team up with him?

Mark P
January 20th, 2010, 01:07 PM
I'm up for anything for Tuesday.

Mark P
January 20th, 2010, 01:09 PM
The Canadian government will match 100% of donations for Haiti.

Scott, do you know to get this going? Is there a link or email addy where we can send our receipts?

Britt Bailey
January 20th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Mark, I don't know if this is what you were looking for, but I found this link (http://www.acdi-cida.gc.ca/acdi-cida/ACDI-CIDA.nsf/eng/ANN-114115719-MVV)about the Canadian matching program.

Huy
January 20th, 2010, 03:43 PM
We need some mentors to sign up besides Anna and Tyler...please help! Feel free to volunteer :)

Thanks, Huy

Ingrid Martinez
January 20th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Come on people sign up and donate today!!!

Marissa Feliciano
January 20th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Donated...Tweeted...Facebooked!

Huy
January 20th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Wednesday is winning....

Huy
January 21st, 2010, 10:21 AM
http://www.fwforum.com/showpost.php?p=122419&postcount=1

It's very simple : $100 gets you a day pass and you can drop in and out anytime to catch any mentor you want.

Mentors : send me your time block preference.

Jerry Frazier
January 21st, 2010, 10:47 AM
I cannot participate, but I will send a donation.

Huy
January 21st, 2010, 11:20 AM
I need YOUR help in getting the word out people...

I can't do this alone...

It was your idea :)

http://www.fwforum.com/showthread.php?t=8071

Britt Bailey
January 21st, 2010, 12:19 PM
I have a question about FB newsfeeds. I'm not sure the links we're posting are going to our newsfeeds, and I can't figure out why. I'm friends with Amy Deputy and David Murray, for example, and while I see they've posted links to this, it didn't show up in my FB newsfeed. I've checked my own settings to see if mine is "transmitting," and it looks like it is, but I can't be certain.

Any advice on settings or how to make sure the links are getting out and not just posting on our wall?

TIA

David Murray
January 21st, 2010, 12:33 PM
This is the mystery of FB Britt. Thank you for asking. I too would like to make sure that my message reaches out to the maximum amount of people!

Judy Cormier
January 21st, 2010, 12:35 PM
I will definitely help you get the word out. I can't participate on that day, but I can definitely do my bit to help :)

Judy Cormier
January 21st, 2010, 12:37 PM
I just want to mention something ... I know I voted in the poll, but it would seem that I'm not there, which is bizarro!!

Britt Bailey
January 21st, 2010, 12:39 PM
David, I used the share button off of a post on Huy's wall this morning. Did that show up in your newsfeed? If not, I'm suspicious that the sharing is not sharing. :)

Did you get my pm question? Operators are standing by.

Ingrid Martinez
January 21st, 2010, 12:47 PM
Just an idea to share, besides sending the info email to photographers I know, I also took a moment to search online and sent to ones I don't. :)

Huy
January 21st, 2010, 12:53 PM
Bummer....
I will definitely help you get the word out. I can't participate on that day, but I can definitely do my bit to help :)

Cindy Stafford
January 21st, 2010, 01:19 PM
Maybe making it a facebook event where we can all add invitees might also get the word out?

Huy
January 21st, 2010, 01:30 PM
http://www.facebook.com/huyhuy?v=app_2344061033#/event.php?eid=442716900606&index=1

Maybe making it a facebook event where we can all add invitees might also get the word out?

Cindy Stafford
January 21st, 2010, 02:03 PM
Cool. I just invited a group of local photographers. What's nice about using the Event page, is that it won't let you invite the same person if someone else already invited them. Since a lot of us have mutual friends, this will keep people from feeling spammed by multiple invites.

David Murray
January 21st, 2010, 02:13 PM
Well I just posted twice on Facebook, so we will see how we do for a reaction here. Wouldn't it be wonderful to go over the $10000 limit!

Fingers crossed on this!!!!

Britt Bailey
January 21st, 2010, 02:15 PM
David I sent you an event invitation, even though I know you're on board, just to get your name on the event attendee list. :)

Huy
January 21st, 2010, 02:16 PM
I need to know what hours you want to mentor :

Wednesday Jan. 27
7 am - 10 am
10 am - 1 pm : DQ Studios
1 pm - 4 pm
4 pm - 7 pm
7 pm - 10 pm

MENTORS, I NEED TO KNOW YOUR PREFERENCE FOR A TIME SLOT. PLEASE POST HERE OF EMAIL ME huy@fworkshop.com

Sergio
January 21st, 2010, 02:24 PM

Wednesday Jan. 27
7 am - 10 am
1 pm - 4 pm
4 pm - 7 pm
7 pm - 10 pm

MENTORS, I NEED TO KNOW YOUR PREFERENCE FOR A TIME SLOT. PLEASE POST HERE OF EMAIL ME huy@fworkshop.com

7-10 am

Ray Anthony
January 21st, 2010, 02:27 PM
Huy,
just a suggestion: this is the slowest time of the year for most photogs. Even though it's more than a fair price and people should give as much as they are able to this tragedy, maybe consider lowering the donation fee. Just my instincts thinking here but I'd bet the turn out would be bigger, thus raising the donations. Like you were suggesting earlier, a smaller fee for one or two critiques. Sorry if I am out of line making this suggestion, but just wanted to voice my thought.

Huy
January 21st, 2010, 02:40 PM
Ray, thanks but it's too late to change now. I'll leave it up to people to decide for themselves.

The mentors are donating PLUS giving up 3 hours of mentoring. They're putting a lot of work into it.

Tyler Wirken
January 21st, 2010, 02:45 PM
7-10 am

Wednesday Jan. 27
7 am - 10 am
1 pm - 4 pm
4 pm - 7 pm
7 pm - 10 pm

I need to do the 1pm-4pm slot if that is okay.

Thanks

Tyler

David Murray
January 21st, 2010, 02:48 PM
Huy,

How many mentors for any time period?

10-1 would really work for me. Would love to work with DQ!

Huy
January 21st, 2010, 02:53 PM
Wednesday Jan. 27
7 am - 10 am : Sergio, Critsey Rowe (boudoir photography)
10 am - 1 pm : DQ Studios, David Murray
1 pm - 4 pm : Tyler Wirken
4 pm - 7 pm
7 pm - 10 pm

Tyler Wirken
January 21st, 2010, 03:10 PM
Huy,

I never thought of that. I could also do 10-1 if there is room. Might actually prefer it.

Either way not a major deal

Thanks

Judy Cormier
January 21st, 2010, 03:45 PM
I blogged about it ... no point in me facebooking because my friend's list is extremely small with only a couple of photogs. My blog will reach more people I think :)

Huy
January 21st, 2010, 04:41 PM
Wednesday Jan. 27
7 am - 10 am : Sergio, Critsey Rowe (boudoir photography) (http://www.coutureboudoir.com/)
8 pm - 10 pm : Brooks Whittington ? (waiting for confirmation)

Brooks Whittington
January 21st, 2010, 05:21 PM
Wednesday Jan. 27
7 am - 10 am : Sergio, Critsey Rowe (boudoir photography) (http://www.coutureboudoir.com/)
8 pm - 10 pm : Brooks Whittington ? (waiting for confirmation)

8-10pm is fine for me.

~brooks

Huy
January 21st, 2010, 05:23 PM
Wednesday Jan. 27
7 am - 10 am : Sergio + Critsey Rowe (boudoir photography) (http://www.coutureboudoir.com/)
8 pm - 10 pm : Brooks Whittington

Dave Cheung
January 21st, 2010, 05:41 PM
AWESOMENESS!!!

Honored, humbled and excited to learn with y'all :)

d (4q2)

Huy,

Dave Cheung
January 21st, 2010, 05:43 PM
Logistics question: How do people submit work for critique? how many images and into who's hands?

Thx for getting this together Huy-Man!

d

Huy
January 21st, 2010, 06:23 PM
I don't know Dave. I'll leave it to each mentor to decide. Dimdim also has the capability to pull up a website.

The mentors will be answering questions too in addition to looking at photos. It might turn out like a big Q&A...

Logistics question: How do people submit work for critique? how many images and into who's hands?

Thx for getting this together Huy-Man!

d

Tyler Wirken
January 21st, 2010, 06:52 PM
So is it going to be like a first come first serve in terms of who gets mentored or do you control that?

Huy
January 21st, 2010, 07:20 PM
I'll try to moderate as much as I can. Give people a chance to ask y'all questions and if I have to limit the mentoring to XX minutes per person, i will....

So is it going to be like a first come first serve in terms of who gets mentored or do you control that?

Carter Rose
January 21st, 2010, 07:28 PM
I'm not sure how you'll be spending your time, but If possible I'd like to have something critiqued by you tyler... if it is controlled by the individual critique-ers how can I submit that to you for review...

Tyler Wirken
January 21st, 2010, 09:06 PM
I am all for it Carter. Would love to help.

You can send me some images and I can load them if you like.

Thanks

Carter Rose
January 21st, 2010, 09:45 PM
I am all for it Carter. Would love to help.

You can send me some images and I can load them if you like.

Thanks

sweetness - Thanks man! I'll ftp some low res between now and then...

Huy
January 21st, 2010, 10:21 PM
Send me your donation receipt too...

Brian Tao
January 22nd, 2010, 11:42 AM
Posted to our local photography enthusiasts forum, and also on my Facebook page. I guess having 1800+ friends does come in handy at times. :D

Huy, maybe you should setup a Facebook event for this too, with all the details from your first post? Many people have their calendars linked to their Facebook events, so this will automatically pop it into people's schedules as a reminder. Also, some people might be more comfortable clicking on a Facebook link to an event, rather to an external site they may not have heard about.

Huy
January 22nd, 2010, 11:43 AM
Saw the post. Thanks Brian!

Here's the FB event : http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=442716900606&index=1

Posted to our local photography enthusiasts forum, and also on my Facebook page. I guess having 1800+ friends does come in handy at times. :D

Huy, maybe you should setup a Facebook event for this too, with all the details from your first post? Many people have their calendars linked to their Facebook events, so this will automatically pop it into people's schedules as a reminder. Also, some people might be more comfortable clicking on a Facebook link to an event, rather to an external site they may not have heard about.

Brian Tao
January 22nd, 2010, 11:45 AM
Oh, sweet. I did a quick search for it, but didn't find it. :( I'll let my recent post cool down a bit, and then post the link to the event tomorrow for all the weekend Facebookers.

Scott Williams
January 22nd, 2010, 11:53 AM
Just invited all the photographers on my friends list

Eric Cousineau
January 22nd, 2010, 12:45 PM
I will match a $300 donation if three people sign up for a review in the next 24 hours.

Huy
January 22nd, 2010, 01:41 PM
Kate McElwee
Kurt Brown

I will match a $300 donation if three people sign up for a review in the next 24 hours.

Eric Cousineau
January 22nd, 2010, 02:41 PM
Kate McElwee
Kurt Brown

What charity do you want me to donate to?

Eric Cousineau
January 22nd, 2010, 02:58 PM
sorry we have one more photographer to go.

Huy
January 22nd, 2010, 03:00 PM
and Candice Cusic...

You pick one Eric. Thank you!

Huy

Britt Bailey
January 22nd, 2010, 03:10 PM
Thanks again, Eric. :)

Angela Lang
January 23rd, 2010, 03:24 AM
I just posted it on my blog too. Thanks for organizing this Huy.

Huy
January 26th, 2010, 02:26 PM
check the first post for new info....

we have more than 50 signed up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Huy
January 26th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Wowza!!!!!!! We definitely have more than 50 which is our max for the room. So don't everyone attend all at once :)

Y'all ready for this??????????

Sergio
January 27th, 2010, 08:00 AM
I am trying to log on but it says that there is no meeting room by that name.

Huy
January 27th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Hang on Sergio, it'll be up by 7:30...I have to commute to my other PC set up....

Sergio
January 27th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Hang on Sergio, it'll be up by 7:30...I have to commute to my other PC set up....

Oh, I thought it was 8 central already.

Sergio
January 27th, 2010, 08:04 AM
My bad! I did not check properly. :-)

Huy
January 27th, 2010, 08:08 AM
try it now

http://www.dimdim.com
room is "fworkshop"
you know the key

I'll leave it and commute, I hope it stays on, if not, I'll restart it at about 7:45 am when I get there...

Huy
January 27th, 2010, 10:37 AM
http://www.dimdim.com (http://www.dimdim.com/)

room is "fworkshop"

you know the key

Dave Cheung
January 27th, 2010, 11:04 AM
I'm in!

Mark P
January 27th, 2010, 12:32 PM
I can't get into the room! Stupid computer!

The DimDim check tells me I'm not on a Mac, which I am. Tried Safari and Firefox, but no luck.

To join a meeting the participant must be on Windows 2000/XP, Linux or Mac. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Huy
January 27th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Oh man Mark P.... I don't know why that is....

Mark P
January 27th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Ok, I got in on my laptop. I wonder why my main computer is not considered a Mac? Weird.

Ben Chrisman
January 27th, 2010, 03:07 PM
hey everyone,

i am looking for a few volunteers to send me a link of 10-15 photos to review when anna and i go online in a couple hours. if you have that, you can email me the link (ben@benchrisman.com) and i'll do my best to look at everything.

thanks!

ben

JVS
January 27th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Hi Folks,

If anyone wants to share some images, web site or slide show for critique/review during my 6-8 pm session, please send your links to jvs@jvspictures.com

See ya' soon!

JVS

Mark P
January 27th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Thanks so much to everyone who shared their thoughts today! I was struggling with my printer and only caught a lot of it peripherally (ha!), but there were definitely a lot of great points and commentary. My computer's locked me out of DimDim now, too, but this would be awesome to do again, I reckon.

Joe Appel
January 28th, 2010, 07:27 AM
What a fantastic day. It feels good to have helped out some people in need.

I could only bounce in and out because of work, but I loved every minute I was able to participate in. Thanks to all of the mentors and especially to Huy for organizing it.

Joe

Shelley Paulson
January 28th, 2010, 10:12 AM
I listened to almost the whole day, and went to be with my head spinning - in a good way. I have lots to chew on and process between now and my next wedding in March!

I found it interesting to take in so many different perspectives. Each person had so much passion, it just goes to show how beautifully diverse we all our and how much we love what we do.

I think I'm in love with wedding photography all over again. :)

ps. A big "thank you" and hug to every person to gave their time to this project.

David Murray
January 28th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Thank you Tyler for being the catalyst. Thank you Huy for being the force behind it. Thank you Amy for going above and beyond for me. Thank you Sergio, Dave & Quin, Ben, Anna, JVS, Brooks and all the speakers for donating lots of time. It was for a noble cause. And thank you to all 70 or so people who donated money and your comments, and enthusiasm to a worthy cause. This was a once in a blue moon experience.

Oh, and thank you Britt. You are the best! :)

I was happy to just be a part of it.

Sergio
January 28th, 2010, 12:03 PM
And we, the mentors, also donated $100 each. Just in case people did not know that.

Carter Rose
January 28th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Great experience for sure - So valuable both for us as individuals and for the people in need.

I wish we could do that every week.

Mark P
January 28th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Sergio, I'm bummed that I missed you—and Tyler and Christy and Brooks and Cat!

I've never heard Ben C. speak before and it was awesome hearing him go through people's portfolios! So fast! "This needs to change, that should have been done differently, you should have stood here and framed it this way. Next!" :D

Verna Pitts
January 28th, 2010, 12:55 PM
I loved yesterday. To be part of such an effort makes me happy indeed. Thanks to everyone who created this synergy.

Britt Bailey
January 28th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Thank you, Huy for making this all happen, thank you to all the mentors, and thank you to all the participants. It was a wonderful thing.

And, David, you'll make me all shy and weirded out. I'm just honored to have such great friends and to have had the opportunity to participate in a collective wish to help Haiti.

Brooks Whittington
January 28th, 2010, 03:59 PM
I had a great time pulling up the rear...

Hopefully it was not too late for yall, someone just needs to tell me to shut up every once in a while :)

Thanks to everyone...it was great hearing different viewpoints on how we do things every week...
~brooks

John Hudetz
January 28th, 2010, 11:29 PM
What a great cause...what a great collective experience...what talent sharing from hearts and minds helping us all. Thank you Huy for the huge time commitment you made in making this event come together.